Top 10 Tips to Sell Your Home
1. Clean homes sell faster! Deep clean – everything! Windows, carpets, baseboards, doors, ledges, behind furniture, under beds, floors, light fixtures… the works! Remove and wash all bedding, including mattress pads, pillows, comforters and bedspreads. And, don’t forget the garage (see #8).
2. Warm wall colors work! Be sure your walls appear freshly painted and if they are basic in color (such as off white or white), accent or repaint completely. We can make recommendations about our favorite choices to ensure your paint color works!
3. New carpets make a BIG difference. Carpet texture, quality, color tone and cleanliness quickly turn a prospective buyer on or off. Your carpet should compliment your wall color and remember that mountain oriented colors that are warm stand out. Pick key rooms to carpet if affordability is an issue.
4. Get less personal. Personal/family pictures and “things” are best if they are temporarily stored. Keep the buyer focused on what could be theirs, not what is yours!
5. Welcome home! Fresh flowers, a few well groomed plants, and orchids (in season) really brighten up a home. Don’t worry about quantity. A bright bouquet of casual flowers mixed with pine boughs is easy and inexpensive.
6. Fix all the “stuff”. Eliminate the creaks, freshly caulk the shower/bathroom, paint the railings, add weather stripping, pressure wash and seal the deck, replace leaking windows and take care of all those “honey do’s”. Check light bulbs and dust /clean all light fixtures (inside and out). Get the items that will show up on your Home Inspection report handled early. And, we always recommend a Seller home inspection report prior to listing to identify any unexpected issues and create a punch list.
7. Mr. Buyer LOVES a clean garage! Clean out, throw away, and take to storage everything you possibly can and still function. Then, power wash and paint the garage with a nonslip, high quality paint, replace lighting if needed, clean windows and ledges so not a web is in sight! If you store your garbage cans in the garage, get new ones or ensure they are clean and a matched set. If possible, park your car(s) off property for showings – your garage will appear much larger.
8. Clean up outside and around your home. Our short mountain gardening period means a few brightly potted plants work really well. Be sure to clean up and remove pine needles around the house, eliminate any debris from under the deck and trim up the trees as needed for defensible space requirements. Be sure to check with the Forester. Pay special attention to your entry area. Paint the foundation a dark brown so it melts into the landscape. Ensure you have a new and well sized door mat, the front door should be clean, properly finished and the surrounding entry windows clean.
9. Reduce closet collections. Real buyers invariably open closets to check available space. Ensuring your closets are uncluttered, smell clean and fresh are HUGE selling advantages! Remove all shoes from closets and put them in bins in the garage. Add natural air fresheners with a fresh laundry scent. Be sure to clean the carpets in your closet and keep laundry baskets (and soiled clothes) to the laundry room.
10. Be objective about your interior furnishings. A certain furniture combination and “look” sells in Tahoe. Alison will provide honest feedback and suggestions for furniture arrangement and may provide partial or complete staging services as part of Elder Group’s listing services.
Alison Elder and her team will be pleased to meet with you to discuss preparing your home for sale and our comprehensive listing services. Please contact us at 530.582.8103 or via email at Tahoe@AlisonElder.com. We’ll be in touch immediately!
Download list as a PDF: Top 10 Tips to Sell Your Home